Things What I Talk About

Sunday, 15 August 2010

Reflection on Creating a Job Description

Here follows a reflection on devising this post.

The role of eFacilitation requires much more than "traditional" learning. This is due mostly to the phenomenon that the eFacilitator is often the only person in the institution to have contact with the student. Practically, this means that an eFacilitator requires a much broader range of skills than do traditional facilitators. I found the 12 sections of the job, as outlined in the On-line Facilitation eBook, to be a useful way of beginning to think about those skills required in eFacilitation.

The post linked to above was actually my second post in the forum. My first one was simply the role titles. Said post was also the first one specifically addressing the task instructions. As such, it gave other members of the team a point from which to depart. The hardest part of any task is often the beginning - sometimes it is incredibly difficult to find the right way to begin. Posting a comprehensive, open-ended comprehension provided a scaffold on which my team-mates could hang their contributions.

Although not all my categories made it into the job description, the original post did spark some thoughts in my team-mates. Despite this, I would have like to see more discussion on these points. Indeed, only two of us really discussed the roles of an eFacilitator and even then it wasn't really that much of a "discussion" but rather postings along similar thought-lines. Perhaps I could have helped stimulate this discussion by asking more direct questions of my colleagues. That way, I feel I would have added more value to all of our learning by focusing thinking on particular aspects of the task.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Neal,
    I have been searching for some existing work on eFacilator Job Description and found yours. Wondering if I can use your draft as a starting point with a group of e-facilitators for whom I am facilitating. The plan is for them to create four variations of a job description for a facilitator at their organisation.
    We are discussing in Elluminate on March 28th, you'd be welcome. Details here: http://australiaseries.wordpress.com/our-shows/efacilitate/
    CC

    ReplyDelete